Tomato and Mozzarella Salad
4 large ripe tomatoes
1/3 cup fresh basil leaves or enough for one leaf per tomato slice
1 pound fresh mozzarella cheese. Fresh buffalo mozzarella (mozzarella di bufala) is best.
3 tablespoons good quality extra virgin olive oil
¼ teaspoon dried oregano (optional)
Salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Slice the tomatoes into ¼ inch slices.
- Slice the cheese into ¼ inch slices.
- On a platter, arrange the tomato, mozzarella, and then a basil slice overlapping each. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and let rest for about 15 minutes for flavors to meld. Drizzle the olive oil on top just before serving.
Summer Squash Casserole
8 cups squash- yellow, zucchini or a combination
1 medium onion- chopped
2 sleeves Ritz crackers-crushed
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 ½ cups milk
Ranch dressing mix
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Spray 13×9 pan with nonstick spray.
- Chop squash into small (about ½ inch) cubes.
- Pour squash and onion into pan.
- In a separate bowl, mix the crackers & cheese. Add half to the squash mix.
- Beat eggs & milk together & pour over squash mix.
- Sprinkle on squash mix to taste- about ½ teaspoon each salt & garlic powder, a few shakes of pepper, and generous shakes of ranch dressing mix.
- Mix all together in the pan & top with remainder of the cheese/cracker mix.
- Bake for 40-60 minutes, depending upon how tender you like your squash. Half batches in a 8×8 pan work nicely baked for about 30 minutes.